Insured Guarantees

All our damp and timber preservation work comes with an insured guarantee.

What It Means To You

Our insured guarantee means that if there is a problem with our work, and we are not around to solve the problem, then our insurer will stand in our place. We do not expect this to happen, but we want our customers to be covered just in case. It gives you piece of mind now, and will help you if you sell you property in the future.

What It Says About Us

All SBG contractors are independently vetted against a comprehensive list of standards they are expected to meet and only contractors showing a high degree of technical competence, a full knowledge of current health and safety regulations (to protect you the customer) together with financial stability and probity over several years, are eligible for membership.

This confirms that we are a reliable, professional company you can trust.

What is an insured guarantee and how does that differ from an insurance-backed guarantee?

An insured guarantee is backed by an insurance certificate and policy specific to your property for the period specified in that policy, issued by an insurance company which is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). All insurance policies carry insurance premium tax (IPT), but insurance-backed guarantees don't, showing that they are not genuine insurance.

Insurance-backed guarantees usually consist of annual calamity insurance in the name of the company giving the guarantee. The guarantee you get for your property is simply issued by the guarantee company and there is no actual insurance on your property. Should the guarantee company fail to make its annual payment then the calamity insurance drops out. Three such “insurance-backed guarantee companies” have gone out of business within the 20 year guarantee period leaving the property owner with a useless piece of paper.

Our Insurer

Our insurance is arranged by Specialist Building Guarantees, “SBG”.

You can see Sterling Property Care in their list of approved contractors here.

Insured Guarantees

What happens if I sell my property?

The insurance relates to the property, not the owner, and therefore neither IGL nor the Insurer need to be informed of any sale. You just pass over to the new owner all the original documents.

Which? Trusted Trader Complaints Procedure

We have been been assessed and checked by Which? trading standards professionals, before being endorsed as a Which? Trusted Trader.

As part of being a Trusted Trader we need to have a complaints procedure. Where we cannot resolve any complaints using our own complaints procedure, as a Which? Trusted trader we use Ombudsman Services Ltd for dispute resolution. In the unlikely event of a complaint arising and you wish to refer the complaint to them please contact Which? Trusted traders in the first instance on 0117 981 2929.